There are a few options to disable the Raspbian Screensaver, some of them require modifying essential system files, others don’t. In this manual we’ll use a method that relies on an external package and we’ll then use that package to disable the default screensaver.
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
- Wait for the program to install; press ‘y’ when prompted during installation.
- Go to the start button, navigate to ‘Preferences’ and click ‘Screensaver’.
- This will open the screensaver program we just installed.
- The first time you open it, it will prompt you about the ‘Daemon service’, press ‘OK’ when prompted and it will be fine.
- Click on the dropdown menu next to ‘Mode:’ and choose ‘Disable Screen Saver’.
- Close the program.
The reason we had to disable this is quite straightforward. The server is actually just a computer that sits idle for all day and displays a message if one of the nodes sends a request for help. If the screensaver kicked in, we wouldn’t see that message, which would defeat the purpose of having that functionality.